The History of Highland...
In the first part of the 20th Century, the townships of Hinckley, Granger and Sharon operated their own school districts and students in those areas attended class in buildings that housed grades 1-12.Approximately 18 students graduated from each building each year. It wasn't until the fall of 1952 that Granger, Sharon and Hinckley joined together to form the Highland Local School District. The first Highland High School class graduated in 1953 with only 46 members.
In 1958, a new High School was constructed in Granger Township and over the years, most of the schools within the Highland District have undergone major expansion projects.In 1978, a large addition was constructed onto Highland High to serve a growing population of students. In 2004, a new High School was built on Ridge Road and the former High School became Highland Middle School and the Middle School reopened as Granger Elementary. To accommodate the continuing growing population, an addition has also been built onto the south side of Highland Middle School.
The District has come a long way since 1952 and remains proud of its heritage and roots. Today, thanks to its strong history, Highland offers students a progressive, achievement-oriented educational program and serves students from Hinckley, Granger, Sharon, Montville, Copley, Medina and Brunswick townships. The Highland Local School District has been rated Excellent by the State Department of Education for the 2010-11 Ohio Local Report Cards. This designation marks the 12th year the District has earned Ohio’s highest rating. We currently boast a population of nearly 3,400 students in grades PK-12, with a graduating class of over 260 each year.
We offer a comprehensive curriculum and our highly-qualified teaching staff works to develop the abilities of each child. The District is constantly growing and striving to remain progressive so that our students have the academic tools they need to succeed in the 21st Century and beyond. We also offer:
- Accelerated literacy and math programs
- Kindergarten and pre-school programs
- Full range of services for those with special needs
- Express Child Care/Latch Key for grades PK-5
- Advanced technology programs for grades K-12
- Award-winning fine arts and music programs
- Foreign language offerings, including Mandarin Chinese
- Enrichment opportunities for gifted students
- Strong athletic programs rich in tradition
- Wide range of academic after-school activities
- Top-rated Advanced Placement (AP) program
- Robotics Program for grades 5-12